Download free AVI sample videos in with different codecs, resolutions and frame rates for your evaluation.
AVI downloads available
- Download free AVI MPEG-4 FullHD 1080p 24fps MP3 sample
- Download free AVI MPEG-4 SD 480p 29.97fps NTSC MP3 sample
What is the AVI format?
The AVI format, short for Audio Video Interleave, is a popular multimedia container format developed by Microsoft. It is widely used for storing audio and video data in a single file.
The AVI files you can find here contain both audio and video streams, allowing for synchronization between the two. This format supports various video codecs, such as DivX and XviD, as well as multiple audio codecs, including MP3 and PCM.
One of the advantages of AVI is its compatibility with a wide range of media players and operating systems. However, it is worth noting that newer container formats, such as MP4, have gained more popularity in recent years. This is due to their better compression efficiency and support for additional features like subtitles and multiple audio tracks. Nonetheless, AVI remains a widely used format in certain contexts and for specific purposes and a great option for you.
What is a container format?
A multimedia container format is a type of file format that can store different types of media data, such as video, audio, subtitles, and metadata. It does not specify how the media data is encoded or compressed, but rather how it is organized and packaged. Most important, a multimedia container can support various codecs and features, depending on its design and specification. Some common multimedia container formats are MP4, WEBM, OGG, and AVI. You can download many different MP4, MKV, MOV sample files here.
Why should I download AVI samples?
Downloading AVI samples can be beneficial for several reasons:
- Compatibility Testing: AVI is a widely supported format, so downloading samples allows you to check if your media player or editing software can properly handle AVI files. By testing different codecs, resolutions, and frame rates, you can ensure that the AVI files you work with are compatible with your specific requirements.
- Evaluation of Quality: AVI samples provide an opportunity for you to evaluate the quality of audio and video content. By downloading samples encoded with different codecs and at various resolutions, you can assess the visual clarity, color accuracy, audio fidelity, and overall performance of AVI files.
- Comparison of Codecs: AVI supports multiple video codecs, such as DivX and XviD. By downloading samples encoded with different codecs, you can compare their compression efficiency, visual quality, and compatibility with your playback devices or editing software. This information can help you choose the most suitable codec for your specific needs.
- Frame Rate Analysis: AVI samples encoded at different frame rates enable you to observe the smoothness and fluidity of motion in videos. By analyzing samples with varying frame rates, you can determine the optimal frame rate for your videos to ensure a visually pleasing playback experience.
In summary, downloading AVI samples allows you to evaluate compatibility, assess quality, compare codecs, and analyze frame rates. This information can aid in making informed decisions when working with AVI files and ensure optimal playback or editing experiences.
What is a video codec?
A video codec is a way of encoding and decoding digital video data. It can reduce the size of the video file by removing some information that is not essential or noticeable to the human eye. It can also restore the video data from the compressed file when it is played back. You might have come across some of the most common video codecs are MPEG-4, H.264, H.265, VP9, and AV1 before. Each codec has its own advantages and disadvantages in terms of quality, file size, compatibility, and performance. Some codecs are more suitable for certain types of video content, such as animation, action, or low-light scenes. Some codecs are more widely supported by various browsers, devices, and platforms, while others are newer or more experimental. You can download sample files with different video codecs from this page.